This year, the theme for the class names is countries. Our Year 5 class chose Cuba, which is a large island in the Caribbean sea . We wanted to choose a country that was on a different continent to ours and we were intrigued to find out more about the geography, culture, language and music of Cuba.
We will update this page regularly and we hope you will return to see all the things that we have been up to in Year 5. As always, if you have any urgent questions or concerns, please get in touch through the office or for less urgent matters, write to our class e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, which we will be checking weekly.
From your teachers, Mrs David and Mrs Beanland, and your LSA, Mrs Mukha.
* For remote learning guidance if you are not in school, please click on the Curriculum Activities link in the Remote Learning Guidance section below.
* Our indoor and outdoor PE sessions will both be on a Tuesday this year. We are asking for children to come to school wearing their PE kits, with shorts underneath jogging bottoms and a dark jumper to keep them warm when necessary. Please make sure that hair is tied back on these days, and earrings and other jewellery has been removed.
A reminder that our school PE kit consists of a plain white t-shirt, with plain navy or black shorts, leggings or jogging bottoms and a plain navy or black jumper.
* We will be sending you home with reading books and are hoping to be able to visit the school library again as soon as possible. Please read at home as often as possible and bring your book back into school when finished to replace it with a new book. We also still have our membership to Bug Club, an online reading platform, and will be sending home updated login details as soon as possible.
* We still have membership to the online times tables games at Times Tables Rock Stars and will be able to remind children of their login details in school if they have forgotten them.
* Spellings will be sent home on a Wednesday to be learnt and discussed before a spelling test the following Wednesday. They will be given in sentences to help children to understand the meaning and usage of the words, and children are encouraged to think of other words that fit the weekly spelling rule.